Translate

Friday, September 15, 2017

Tors Trading Post


The Summit Of My Ambivalence - By Ken

Stone, Frost and Grey

Back to nature with Tors Trading Post!

The branches are still barren because spring has five weeks before she releases her loom. I continue to walk - some areas heavily wooded others spare and barren as the desert except with stone, frost and grey.
     Soon I will be at Tor’s Cabin Inn and Trading Post. I don’t like the women there, they are too heavy handed and overt, I would rather wait until I get to Trynsyck, where the ladies appear as though they just come out of a church somehow. Hello?!! This is no time for wistful thinking. I have to stay on this godforsaken trail or I’ll freeze to death.

     There are times when I wonder if my trials and struggles are artificially created by God just so he can watch and see how I might manage them. I am confounded often by that thought. No matter, I have to stay focused, they found Jacke Smithson frozen solid as a rock only two furlongs off this trail. He was a hell of a trader and trapper but you have to admit - he had a love for the opium.    
     Tors better give me a good price for these furs, I’m really not in the mood for any of his boolshit. You might wonder how I, a nice kindly gentleman - came to be a trapper out in the wild on the edge of civilization as it were. That my friend is none of your business - unless you are really keen on the society pages of a certain Wilhemina Von Strucken. Willy was heiress to the Von Strucken pickled herring fortune. You might remember a wedding that was supposed to happen some five years ago, Willy was to wed a dashing officer and war hero. That hero was me. At the time I was happier than is permissible outside of heaven itself. If only that morning... The morning of the wedding I accidentally found Willy en-flagrante with one of the groomsmen, a cousin of hers. It was so unbelievable I went blind temporarily. When I regained my sight I found that everyone had basically vanished from the earth. When I told the story her father sought to destroy me and had more than the means to do so. I for my part decided it was safer out on the fringe with bears,  wolves and coyotes than to be in town facing her fathers' hired goons.
     So I got to the traps and am better at it than most. I've made enough to settle a bit, my heart is even healed, but I can't seem to find anyone aside from the women provided at inns, at least for now. I know it sounds sad but I'm a good sport about it and the Trynsyck girls love me. Afensle-way! Back to the trail.

Lars the Trapper

No comments:

Post a Comment